Driver Safety Course
If you are charged with a moving violation, you may be eligible to take an approved driver safety course. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVER SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT
To be Eligible to Take a Driver Safety Course for Ticket Dismissal, You Must:
- Make your request before the appearance date on your citation in person or by certified mail.
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest.
- Show a valid Non-CDL Texas Driver’s license or permit.
- Show proof of financial responsibility (Insurance).
- Not have taken a driver safety course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your citation.
- Pay court costs and administrative fee of $109.00.
You are NOT Eligible if:
- You hold a Commercial Driver’s License.
- You were charged with speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit.
- You were charged with a violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
- TRC Sec. 472.022- Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present.
- TRC Sec. 545.066- Passing a School Bus
- TRC Sec. 545.421- Fleeing or attempting to elude Police Officers
- TRC Sec. 550.022- Accident involving damage to a vehicle
- TRC Sec. 550.023- Duty to give information and render aid
- TRC Sec. 522.003- Serious traffic violations
Once You Have Obtained Approval and Paid your Fees, You MUST:
- Complete a state approved driver safety course.
- Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Submit certificate and driving record to the Court BY your 90 day deadline:
- A certificate of completion from a state approved driving safety course.
- A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
NO EXTENSIONS TO COMPLETE THE COURSE WILL BE GIVEN
Failure to Complete the Terms of the Driver Safety Requirements:
If you fail to complete the course or to return the certificate or driving record within the 90 day due date, a show cause hearing will be scheduled.