Driver Safety Course
If you are charged with a moving violation, you may be eligible to take an approved driver safety course. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVER SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT
To be Eligible to Take a Driver Safety Course for Ticket Dismissal, You Must:
- Make your request before the appearance date on your citation in person or by certified mail.
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest.
- Show a valid Non-CDL Texas Driver’s license or permit.
- Show proof of financial responsibility (Insurance).
- Not have taken a driver safety course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your citation.
- Pay court costs and administrative fee of $109.00.
You are NOT Eligible if:
- You hold a Commercial Driver’s License.
- You were charged with speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit.
- You were charged with a violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
- TRC Sec. 472.022- Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present.
- TRC Sec. 545.066- Passing a School Bus
- TRC Sec. 545.421- Fleeing or attempting to elude Police Officers
- TRC Sec. 550.022- Accident involving damage to a vehicle
- TRC Sec. 550.023- Duty to give information and render aid
- TRC Sec. 522.003- Serious traffic violations
Once You Have Obtained Approval and Paid your Fees, You MUST:
- Complete a state approved driver safety course.
- Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Submit certificate and driving record to the Court BY your 90 day deadline:
- A certificate of completion from a state approved driving safety course.
- A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Print Driver Record at http://www.texas.gov/
NO EXTENSIONS TO COMPLETE THE COURSE WILL BE GIVEN
Failure to Complete the Terms of the Driver Safety Requirements:
If you fail to complete the course or to return the certificate or driving record within the 90 day due date, a show cause hearing will be scheduled.